Picture This! Research Through a Lens, call for submissions!
What does your PhD look like?
The Graduate Festival is inviting entries for a photography competition that showcases elements of your research field. Whether it’s microscopic cell mutations or massive cloud formations, ancient texts or futuristic digital displays, we want to see your research through your eyes.
There are prizes to be won!
1st – £100 Amazon Voucher
2nd – £50 Amazon Voucher
3rd – £25 Amazon Voucher
Email your photo to email@example.com by 5pm Thursday 16th Feburary.
The scope for your photo entry is broad: we want to learn more about your research. What insight can you give the viewer into your fieldwork or lab experiments, your time spent in library archives or coding new software?
How to submit
- Email your photo entries in jpeg format, at as high a resolution as possible, though good quality mobile phone pictures will be accepted, to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Include your name, date of photo, and location.
- Add a short description (maximum 100 words) describing what the photograph shows and a little about your research.
- Deadline for entry is 5pm Thursday 16th Feburary, for consideration by the judges.
- If you have any queries, email email@example.com and we’ll be happy to help.
- The judging panel will be made up of PhD students and QMUL Staff They will be looking for images that are visually powerful, thought provoking and impactful, and that give us the best insight into your research.
- The 10 shortlisted applicants will be notified by Wednesday 3rd June. The final 10 photographs will be professionally printed and displayed at the Grad Fest Exhibition on Monday 20th February and throughout the Graduate Festival Week.
- At the Grad Fest Exhibition (20th February, 17:30, Graduate Centre Common Room) following the keynote address, the three winners will be announced.
- A first prize of £100, a second prize of £50 and a third prize of £25 will be awarded to those entries the judges consider best fitting of the above criteria.
Terms & Conditions
- Images do not have to be new, they can be taken at any point during your time as a PhD student. However, any images submitted must be taken by you.
- One entry per PhD student.
- By entering photographs into the competition, you give consent for GradFest and QMUL to use the image on its website and publicity materials.
- Your name will appear as a credit with the image in any publication (including online).
- Entries will be judged by a panel; the judges’ decision is final.
For more information on the 2017 Graduate Festival please see our website: https://qmulgradfest.wordpress.com/